Montana voted to legalize Marijuana... now what?
I’m sure you’ve heard by now, and voted on, the legalization of marijuana in Montana. Because this industry is still such a hot topic filled with a lot of misinformation, we did some research for you to break down the facts of what you need to know heading into 2021.
1. As of January 1, 2021 it is legal to possess, buy and grow marijuana in the state of Montana.
2. Montana residents may possesses up to one ounce or eight grams of concentrates.
3. Residents can grow up to four plants on their personal property, but they cannot be visible from public spaces. If renting, a resident must obtain the permission of the landlord to grow.
4. Marijuana can be freely transported around the state.
5. Dispensaries and providers cannot file for a business license until October of 2021 and cannot sell cannabis commercially until 2022.
6. Any resident with a misdemeanor possession conviction can apply to expunge a charge from their record.
7. Driving under the influence of marijuana is still illegal
8. Providing or selling marijuana to a minor under the age of 21 is illegal
9. There is a $50 fine for smoking marijuana in a public place and a $250 fine for growing it in a public place or somewhere that can be seen from a public space.
10. Montana is the 14th state to legalize marijuana
11. Montana employers retain the right to create and enforce their own drug policies.
12. A 20% tax will be added to sales of recreational marijuana by licensed vendors.
We hope understanding these new laws can help you make informed decisions and break through stereotypes. We want to reiterate that all of our CBD products contain ZERO THC, not even trace amounts, which means our products as always are safe for use by all ages and all professions.
Feel free to reach out to the team at Mountain Mama anytime with questions or concerns about the hemp industry. We are here to educate and help! Contact us here.